Staying Safe Online
In our ever-increasing online world it is essential that students at Penair are educated about how to use the internet safely. Education about online safety should be in partnership between home and school. For some, the use of technology and the internet may seem daunting; and keeping up to date with the latest trends and apps may seem like a minefield when it comes to keeping your child safe. The following website gives up to date advice on all the latest apps, games and online trends so that you can be better equipped to keep your child safe online.Online Safety tips for parents PDFOnline safety takeaways for parents PDF
Tips for Staying Safe Online
- Don’t post any personal information online – like your address, email address or mobile number.
- Don’t use the same password for multiple accounts and change your passwords regularly.
- Think carefully before posting pictures or videos of yourself. Once you’ve put a picture of yourself online most people can see it and may be able to download it, it’s not just yours anymore.
- Keep your privacy settings as high as possible.
- Never give out your passwords.
- Respect other people’s views, even if you don’t agree with someone else’s views doesn’t mean you need to be rude.
- Always buy and sell with reputable companies. There is currently no regulation on buying and selling on social media.
- Keep all software up to date – updates often include important virus and scam updates and protection.
- Think before you click – Be aware of phishing scams (this can happen through email, text message and phone calls). You should never feel pressured in to providing personal or financial information.
Reporting a problem
If you see something online that makes you feel uncomfortable, unsafe or worried, leave the site immediately and report any concerns to CEOPs
Other useful links
The links below offer up to date and supportive advice for managing children’s online behaviour:Net-Aware Safer internet Think you know Child Safety Online Childnet NSPCC simfinuk
Key documents and policiesICT Acceptable Use Policy DOCX